These Chewy Almond Cookies are like the anti-thesis to the usual treats I make. They’re gluten-free, low-fat, no butter, no flour, no egg yolks, no chocolate.
You know me – usually, my best creations are rich and buttery delights. So I had my doubts about these cookies.
But these cookies turned out beautifully. Fluffy, chewy, lemony little rounds – they taste like a macaroon, but sweeter and softer. I received compliments upon compliments, requests for another batch, even thank you emails from friends and co-workers who tried these.
It was my first time baking with almond paste, and it’s not going to be the last. I loved how these marzipan cookies stayed chewy for days, and how the almond, vanilla, and lemon flavors blended so well together.
I used the most premium vanilla for these cookies: Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract.
Nielsen-Massey vanillas are considered one of the world’s finest vanillas. I’ve tried many different brands in the past but this premium vanilla makes my baked good taste richer, lending a warm and sophisticated flavor. The folks at Nielsen-Massey generously sent me some samples, and one lucky reader will win a few bottles, too! Read along for the giveaway instructions at the bottom.
I was inspired to make these Chewy Almond Cookies after my first bite of the Flourless Amaretto Cookie at Sportello. I immediately liked how it was slightly crisp outside, but moist and chewy inside. It was light and airy, unlike other flour-less baked goods I’ve tried, which are more decadent (think flourless chocolate cake). I’ve made plenty of gluten-free treats, too, but they often include peanut butter or chocolate, so I’m glad I’m able to add a bright and light cookie to my repertoire.
I’m immediately adding these cookies to my favorites list, along with Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Rice Crispy Cookies and Double Chocolate Cookies with Boozy Cherries (both of these cookies benefit from good vanilla, too.)
Chewy Almond Cookies
12 oz almond paste
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large egg whites
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
confectioners sugar for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine almond paste, sugar and salt. Mix until crumbly.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites until frothy.
- Gradually add in egg whites, mixing until the dough becomes a thick but smooth paste. Stir in vanilla, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- Using a standard cookie scoop (or a heaping 1 tablespoon of dough), portion out the dough and place evenly on two cookie sheets lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle generously with confectioner's sugar. Bake for 15 minutes or until cookies are lightly brown around the edges. Cool right on the pan before serving.
recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour's Almond Cloud Cookies
And now for the giveaway! I picked three bottles from Nielsen-Massey to giveaway to one of you guys. You’ll win a 2 0z bottle each of the Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract, Mexican Pure Vanilla Extract, and Pure Chocolate Extract.
These are super premium vanillas and flavors, and would add warmth and richness to your sweet and even savory dishes. If you’d like to learn more about these wonderful vanillas, check out the Nielsen-Massey website, Facebook page, and Twitter account.
To enter the giveaway:
1) Leave a comment on this blog post telling me about your favorite dessert with vanilla.
For additional entries, do one of the following and leave another comment for each thing you do:
2) Like my Confessions of a Chocoholic Facebook Page and post something on the wall about your favorite cookie or a recipe link.
3) Follow me on Twitter (@biancagarcia) and tweet:
Confessions of a Chocoholic @biancagarcia is giving away three bottles of @NielsenMassey vanilla on her blog! http://bit.ly/13eCows
4) Follow me on Pinterest and pin something from Confessions of a Chocoholic
5) Follow me on Instagram and like or comment on any of the pictures
This means that you can enter the giveaway up to five times, but remember to leave a comment for each entry.
You must live in the United States to be participate in this giveaway.
The contest is open until 11:59 pm EST on Monday, July 8th. I’ll pick the winner next week and you’ll receive the Nielsen-Massey products in the mail. Good luck!
***GIVEAWAY HAS ENDED***