Let’s take a break from all the food-filled travel posts so I can share one of my newest favorite recipes.
(And by favorite I mean I’ve been making this on back to back weeks.)
It’s healthy. Really!
Sure, I eat fried chicken and pasta (a lot of pasta, actually). But the truth is: when I’m not traveling, when I’m not eating out with friends, when I’m not baking some over-the-top dessert for this blog, I prefer easy, nutritious, home-cooked meals. I’ve talked about it before: the meals I eat when I’m alone in my kitchen – I eat a lot of fruits and veggies, I prepare a lot of vegetarian side dishes and appetizers that almost invariably become main meals, and I even make some low carb meals.*
*But make no mistake, I always save room for dessert. Everything in moderation, right?
This Crustless Sweet Potato and Goat Cheese Quiche is one of those meals. It’s a cinch to put together, and delivers a powerhouse of nutrition in each slice. It’s packed with spinach (one of the richest sources of antioxidants), sweet potatoes (high in fiber, vitamin B6, and beta-carotene), some cheese (a little dairy), and of course, eggs (protein to keep you fuller, longer).
Spinach is my favorite leafy green (I make a lot of smoothies with spinach in them) and while I honestly prefer sweet potatoes with sweet things (baked and topped with almond butter and cranberries, or sweet potato fries drizzled with maple syrup), when I combine these two with garlic and red pepper flakes, the resulting sautee is so good, it almost didn’t make it into the quiche.
This quiche does not have a flaky, buttery crust (let’s save that for something else, maybe pecan pie?) and in fact I didn’t use any butter at all – but it tastes satisfyingly luxurious, thanks to the creaminess from the goat cheese.
You can play around with your quiche ingredients – sometimes I substitute feta, sometimes I add mushrooms – just be careful not to overfill your pie pan. I like placing the pie pan on top of a cookie sheet; in case of spillage, it’ll be easier to clean up.
A lot of people like quiche for breakfast, and this also reheats nicely in the microwave for a quick weekday lunch or weeknight dinner. I like eating it with a little dipping sauce of Greek yogurt, dijon mustard, and mayo.
Crustless Sweet Potato and Goat Cheese Quiche
1 cup milk (I used 1%)
1 10 oz pack of frozen spinach (or 1 packed cup cooked spinach)
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
pinch of red chili pepper flakes
4 oz goat cheese
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Defrost spinach according to package directions. Drain well and set aside.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat, add garlic and saute for a couple of minutes. Add sweet potato cubes and saute for 10 minutes or until lightly brown and soft.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, beat eggs with milk, salt, and pepper.
- Add spinach to sweet potatoes in pan to further reduce water and cook for another minute. Season with salt, pepper, and red chili pepper flakes.
- Place spinach and sweet potato mixture in the bottom of a deep pie dish, pour eggs on top, then crumble goat cheese all over. Top with cheddar cheese if using. Bake for 40 minutes until golden brown on top. Let it set for 10 minutes after removing from the oven before cutting into slices.
This is light yet filling, and has become a regular on my lunch rotations. Let me know if you guys make it, and if you have any favorite quiche combinations!